Helpful facts to keep your vehicle running
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I know if I have a Transmission issue?
A few of the warning signs of transmission problems are when the vehicle reaches a certain temperature (hot or cold) and issues occur, problems changing gears, abnormal noises, leaking/burnt/discolored fluid.
2. What does it mean if my vehicle is slipping between gears?
If your engine speeds up while shifting when the gas is applied and your vehicle doesn’t gain speed, your transmission is slipping. The problem will not get better, only worse. Possible cause of transmission slips are:
• Fluid level is low
• Internal problem
• Electrical control issues
• Transmission filter is clogged
3. I have a red/reddish brown puddle under my vehicle
If you have a puddle under your vehicle that is red/reddish brown, you have a leak which can come from several areas of the transmission.
• Cracked torq converter
• Loose/detached or rusted oil cooler lines
• Old/cracked pan gasket
• Cracked transmission case
Leaks may occur while your vehicle is either hot or cold.
4. My vehicle makes a clunking or thud noise while shifting
The clunk/thud noise while shifting is called a harsh “down-shift” or “up-shift”. A hard downshift is normal while passing, however, it should not feel harsh.
• Transmission fluid is the wrong type, burnt/contaminated or the fluid is low
• Engine idle speed needs to be adjusted
• Internal transmission failure
• Universal or CV joint damage
• Throttle linkage is loose or damaged
• Vacuum controls need to be adjusted or replaced
5. My vehicle will not engage into gear
There are many different things that can cause this problem.
• Fluid is the wrong type or low
• Filter is plugged
• Internal transmission problems and/or components seized
• Torq converter failure
• Broken flex plates or bolts
• Shift linkage loose or damaged
6. Can I drive my vehicle with minor transmission issues?
A transmission service should be done every 30,000 miles under normal usages. Under extreme usages, a service should be done every 15,000 miles.
7. How long does a transmission repair take?
Transmission service and/or minor repair can general be done in one day. A rebuild can take 3-4 days to complete.
8. What is the warranty on a transmission rebuild?
Our warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles on most makes and models and is nationwide. We require your vehicle back at Trans Service Plus, Inc. at 12,000 for a re-check.
9. Do you accept credit cards?
Yes. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Debit and CarCareOne cards. We also have financing available upon approval.